NIT vs INT .. RE: PIDs vs flow IDs

Marie-Jose & all,

as small addition to very comprehensive posting from Rod.

( I am not sure, if you were originally talkin about INT or
  NIT, but keep reading, maybe this mail reduces the confusion)

In my humble understanding, PID's were never designed to
be e-to-e identifiers. Instead, they were designed to work
like ATM vpi/vci fields, but now in unidirectional case.

NIT table is actually (part of )a substitute of ATM signaling,
and is designed to communicate the e-to-e identifiers to receivers
(as Rod explained). PMT (in the "middle") is designed to
make life easier for muxes

I belive (but I am not sure) that Rod actually explained how
NIT works, but in the original posting Marie-Jose was refering
to INT, that is little bit different story.

GBS sub group of DVB has recently worked on IP/PID/MAC mapping
issue from DVB perspective, and i belive that the result is
published at ETSI EN 301 192 [V1.3.1 (2003-05)]. From that
document, look for Multiprotocol Encapsulation section and
IP/MAC Notification Table (INT).

[ Go to www.etsi.org and select Dowload Now !
  Then use the document number (301 192) as search criteria ]

Figure 3 on page 23 is supposed to explain the relations bethween
tables mentioned here (and few others..) but I am not sure if I
understood it either.

Have fun,

//Harri

ps. For more info, I guess you should contact _TM-GBS
    Generic Data Broadcasting & Service Information Protocols
    people directly  http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=64