RE: PIDs vs flow IDs

I may not have proper context as I have not been following closely. Changing
PID values is normally a routine multiplexer function.

Because each elementary stream or set of table sections is not generally
constrained to use certain PIDs (there are some dedicated PID values), any
MPEG-2 re-mux operation must be able to rewrite PID values to get rid of
duplications. One can only have static PIDs if the stream is (a) separately
encapsulated (or contained/scoped via some means); or (b) is authored with
external control of PID uniqueness and never goes through a TS multiplex
operation.  In MPEG-2 Transport streams the scope of PID values is the
entire multiplex, and the identifier is the TSID.

Different multiplexes with different TSIDs (and usually different physical
delivery layers) can reuse PID values, of course. For this delivery means,
it would seem a logically similar scoping means would be needed to enable
static PID values.

Art
::{)
Art Allison