ULE implementations and interoperability testing

1. ULE implementations

Two teams that were implementing ULE gave a presentation at the ip-over-dvb
BOF at IETF-58. Information on these two ESA sponsored projects that will
target the upcoming ULE draft revision 2 can be found on the ESA Telecom
website:

http://telecom.esa.int/telecom/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=11271

and

http://telecom.esa.int/telecom/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=11265

This is related to other activities the European Space Agency has initiated
to support the IPv4 to IPv6 transition in satellite telecommunications, more
information on this can be found on

http://telecom.esa.int/telecom/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=11405

2. ULE availability

A number of senders (modified routers or DVB-S encapsulators) and receivers
( PCI cards or modified routers) using these two prototype implementations
will be available for experiments and interoperability tests, via ESA or the
projects contacts. They are expected to be available around February 2004.

3. ULE traces

As stated in the IETF-58 minutes: packet hex dumps used in these projects
will be made available for early interoperability testing. They will be
available via the IP-over-DVB list.

4. ULE interoperability testing

Concerning receiver testing: in case there is interest , we would be willing
to setup  at certain times a DVB-S carrier on a satellite with European
coverage with  e.g.:
      - one PID with ULE carrying  IPv4
      - one PID with ULE carrying  IPv6

Concerning sender testing: our uplink facilities could be made available for
such purposes.

Best regards,

Frank

Frank.Zeppenfeldt@esa.int
Tel +31 (0)71 5654376
Fax +31 (0)71 5654093
http://telecom.esa.int/
D-APP/TSM
ESA/ESTEC (European Space & Technology Centre)
Keplerlaan 1
Postbus 299
2200 AG Noordwijk (The Netherlands)