Re: ULE-01 : Destination Address Field

Alain:
snip/snip
> Now to the question how does the encapsulator know about this, I
> think it can be solved because there is some address resolution
> (static, table, whatever) that provides P::/48 --> PID,MAC
I don't want to start too much of a debate here but the problem I think is
there is not a unique and universally used adress resolution mechanism that
we can entirely rely on. Or do you have one? I guess you have read the AR
draft; this is currently also investigated by other people including ETSI.

Static (I call it pre-determined) is easy of course but not appropriate for
all networks and does not fully support traffic engineering. The current
standardised approach is the use of tables - INT for example that does
address mapping/advertising. Those are received every 10 seconds in
satellites (even less often on the other networks); it works but could lack
the dynamics we want. The "whatever", an on demand, is really what is needed
;-) I guess for the moment the ULE draft should maybe not rely on "what we
think the other system is using" or on non-existent solutions. We intend to
streamline and update the AR draft to address these issues.

Marie-Jose