From: ext Dr G Fairhurst [mailto:gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk]
Sent: 21 August, 2003 14:44
To: ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Subject: How does MPE handle the last byte?

Before we suggest a strategy for the new encapsulation formats,
can someone tell me what happens in real implementations when MPE
employs section packing (i.e. is allowed to start a new encapsulated
MPE packet following the rpeviosu in the same MPEG-2 TS Packet).

Problem case:

When TS Packet payload is nearly full... i.e. when
a SNDI (IP packet, etc) occupies all but the last byte of
the final MPEG-2 TS-Packet Payload, and there is another
IP packet waiting to be sent.

What does the encapsulator do if this TS-Packet has no PUSI
set, since setting the PUSI flag implies that encapsulator
would also include a Payload start pointer in the first
position after the TS-Packet header. This pointer consumes
the last byte... leaving nothing for it to point at.

A picture:

^

NO PUSI - and Hence no payload pointer here.

Gorry