Re: AW: AW: AW: About dest MAC@

Fritsche Wolfgang wrote:

> Bertrand,
>
> I don't agree with your point of usual DVB-S receiver are handling
> only 2Mbit/s max, there are many (also cheap ones) with go far beyond
> this. And it's not only an issue of the receiver, it's also issue
> where the receiver is located in the satellite's footprint, and how
> big is the dish on the receiver side.

Sure, the technology is scalable, from a few Mbps, to 100 Mbps, or so.
The RF intreface (antenna, LNB, etc) vary depending on the link/satellite
configuration, but these don't impact the MPEG-2 transmission format.

> However, my intention has only been to show you that there are
> operational scenarios in this areas, and from my point of view it's
> important to have this kind of discussion about address resolution
> / filtering / ... on this list.

The draft charter at http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/ said

"The MPEG-2 Transport Stream provides a transmission network that has
become widely use to support digital TV broadcast, including: DVB, DAB,
ATSC, ISDB-T. These and related standards define a set of commercially
available components that are increasingly being used to provide a
general-purpose packet transmission network. MPEG-2 Transport networks
are being used to build IP networks to supplement broadcast TV/audio
services and also to provide one-way and two-way IP-only subnetworks."

If that helps to clarify the scope - i.e. the focus should be on the
IP services, but is not restricted to data-only IP services, it COULD
also apply to digital TV broadcast applications that wish to also
support IP services.

I suggest that where existing standards already exist, such as for
ATSC, and DVB digital TV broadcast applications, there may be a need
to recommend how the IPv4/IPv6 service binds to these standards, and
it may be desirable to recommend how to use such existing techniques, if
these are applicable. Where there are no techniques, or the techniques
are not well-suited to IP networks, then new techniques will need to
be found.

Either way, we need to set up some scenarios, so we know the various
topologies and use-cases we are looking at. All inputs welcome!!!

Gorry