Re: BoF Announcement for IETF-57, Vienna: (IP over MPEG-2)

Gorry,

I believe this BOF is continuous work from the unofficial BOF in Salt lake city IETF and the situation has not been changed a lot.

Based on the information which I have and the situation in Japan, urgent issue related on MPEG/DVB is IPv6 encapsulation. In terms of IPv4, there are existing standard even though it was not defined by IETF and it is not efficient ;-). If the WG try to define new encapsulation mechanism of IPv4, it needs strong merit ,reason and a time to make it be RFC. But IPv6, there are few mechanism which can handle on MPEG/DVB-TS(I am not saying no standard). So my comment is WG should focus on IPv6 encapsulation. Hopefully it should be better that current MPE mechanism by using lessons and learned from IPv4 experience.

Second item which on the agenda, address resolution between MPEG PID and IP address. Those address space are totally different each other. And normally PID assignment has already done by service provider(TV broadcasting company, IP service provider, etc.) or satellite operator. So it is difficult to assign specific IP address to specific PID. Maybe it is better to define new service mapping table like NIT, PAT and PMT.

Anyway this is the start point of the discussion. I hope we can define something from IETF.

Best regards,

Jun Takei

Dr G Fairhurst wrote:

A BOF will be held in Vienna on the subject of building standards for IP
networks using MPEG-2 Transport Stream transmission. This is intended to
cover issues common to implementors/operators wishing to build efficient
IP transmission networks using DVB, ATSC, etc. Satellite systems are
currently a major user of this technology.  The description is below.

For the current (as yet provisional scheduling see):

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/

IP over MPEG-2/DVB Transport
============================

BoF Description
---------------

The MPEG-2 Transport Stream provides a transmission network that has
become widely use to support digital TV broadcast, including: DVB, DAB,
ATSC, ISDB-T. These and related standards define a set of commercially
available components that are increasingly being used  to provide a
general-purpose packet transmission network.  MPEG-2 Transport networks
are being used to build IP networks to supplement broadcast TV/audio
services and also to provide one-way and two-way IP-only subnetworks.
The BOF will explore how the IETF might work to define documents that
describe the protocols required to build a complete IPv4/IPv6
unicast/multicast service, and the mappings that are needed to perform
address resolution, etc. A set of Internet Drafts will be reviewed
describing requirements, and some proposed protocols.

DRAFT AGENDA
============

CHAIRS:
Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Bernhard Collini-Nocker <bnocker@cosy.sbg.ac.at>

Agenda Bashing (5 minutes)
        - Election of scribes (jabber scribe?)

What is MPEG-2? and Why is this an IETF activity? (10 minutes)
        draft-fair-ipdvb-req-03.txt
        Bernhard Collini-Nocker

Lightweight Encapsulation  (15 minutes)
        draft-clausen-ipdvb-enc-01.txt
        draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-00.txt
        Gorry Fairhurst

Address Resolution for IPv4/IPv6 (10 minutes)
        draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt
        (tbc)

Proposed Roadmap (15 minutes)
        Gorry Fairhurst
        - STANDARDS TRACK RFC on Encapsulation (review Oct 2003) (to
IESG by
Dec 2003)
        - INFO RFC on Address Resolution (review Mar 2004) (to IESG by
June 2004)
        - INFO RFC on Architecture (review Mar 2004) (to IESG by Jun 2004)

Open mic discussion
        - Protocol issues?
        - Deployment issues?
        - Does this need an IETF WG?