Re: Re the encapsulation I-Ds...

Richard Gibbons wrote:

> The question is a good one. While IP is at layer 3 there is a HDLC
> router output that provides Sync Serial IP frames that could directly
> interface with a Modem. NASA's Space Network currently uses HDLC as the
> underlying satellite transport. ATM is also possible as the basic
> underlying satellite transport. The comparision between HDLC, DVB and
> ATM for satellite transport is not obvious in spite of the mass produced
> DVB IRDs.

HDLC/PPP, ATM, SONET/SDH, MPEG-2/DVB/ATSC all provide ways of moving
IP packets between interfaces ona router or end-host. That is they
are all at L2.

I'll follow the HDLC thread...

HDLC/PPP uses flag bytes/sequences to delimit the edges of frames.  In MPEG-2
transmission is synchronous, and each MPEG-2 TS frame (confusingly known as
a TS Packet) contains a SYNC byte at the start in the header. The
synchonisation has similarities to ATM.

HDLC provides link addressing (if you want it, in the first byte). This
is used by SDLC, NRM, LAP-D, etc. It identifies a level 2 flow to a
particular destination (or group of destination addresses).
MPEG-2 has a similar concept in the PID field which identifies a flow,
flows can be (and often are) point-to-multipoint. A receiver
can use a PID to slect an appropriate flow that it wishes to receive.

Unlike ATM and HDLC, a wide cariety of commercial off-the-sheld
components are available using MPEG-2 that combine both the physical
radio / "modem" interface  with this link level interface in the same
board/box. The "DVB", "ATSC", etc standards add the physical layer
to the MPEG-2 link layer.

draft-fair-ipdvb-req-03.txt gives more details on how this relates to IP.

Gorry