RE: New mailing list documents

>===== Original Message From gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk =====
>William StanisLaus wrote:
>>
>> >===== Original Message From ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk =====

>> Does
>> >
>> >Yes - for those networks that are able to change. There is a large
>> >deployed
>> >base of MPE in broadcast TV service networks - it is unlikely these
>> >deployed
>> >networks will move away from MPE for the foreseeable future. So
co-existance
>> >of the two schemes is important to me. New networks may choose.
>> >
>> >There are also a large number of IP-based networks that could take
>> >advantage of
>> >the new encapsulation by a change of driver software. Existing networks
may
>> >upgrdae at some time. Again, new networks will have the chance to choose.
>> >

>>  Is there any differentiator BITs in MPEG2-TS to figure out which MPE is
USED
>> (i.e. DSM-CC, ULE or Simple Encapsulation). Atleast DSM-CC should be
>> interpreted seperately.
>>

>That's a signalling issue - currently using SI Tables.

>> >MPE has only a ***destination*** Mac address.
>> >
>>   Yeah i agree only Destination MAC present in case of DSM-CC. But i wonder
>> even Destination MAC is not present in Simple encapsulation and ULE. Is
that
>> because, it is used only in Broadcast medium, I mean always Link Layer
>> Boardcast is done even for Network Unicast packets.
>>

>Not so, there's an address format that carries MAC addresses, you just don't
>need them when you are communicating to end hosts.

Can you suggest me some addressing formats which carries MAC addresses in
Simple Encapsulation and ULE.

>> >It does not have a source address - which can present issues with LAN
>> bridges,
>> >IPv6 autoconfiguration, and some other scenarios.
>> >

>>    Sorry i am not very sure about IPv6 :(, but for LAN Bridges, we need to
>> know only the Destination MAC address to forward the packet. Packet
>> forwarding/routing is done based on the destination address.
>>

>Not so. Learning bridges need both, but you could assume the source if
>you know the identity of the encapsualtor

Yeah I agree with Learning bridges which require Both Source and Destinatin
MAC address for bridging.. rather updating its bridging route table. But for
satellite networks is more like a static network and whenver a new Terminals
comes into picture there is always an authentication and based on that we can
configure the new comer MAC address in other existing Terminals. Most of the
case, i see as Star Network in DVB-RCS, and now we are experimenting Mesh
network.

>> >It doesn't carry a protocol Type field - which requires use of further
>> headers
>> >to support IPv6 efficiently and other protocols, such as arp.
>> >

>>   protocol type field in Simple encap and ULE, it also resembles the
LLC-SNAP
>> flag in DSM-CC, in which you can define your payload type. By default it is
>> IPv4, atleast that is in our configuration.
>
>Yes - so you must use LLC/SNAP - which is kind of strange.
>
>>   Also when you say Bridged Payload did you mean, tunneling Layer2 packet,
>> something like L2TP.
>>

>I mean connecting to ethernet LANS at both ends - i.e. were receiver is NOT
> an IP router.

   Do you mean receiver is always a bridge in this case for forwarding/routing
and act as a host for Network management. Then is that packets gets discarded
if the Payload type is different from 0x6558 i.e. bridged ethernet frame.

Thanks and Regards,
William.