Re: New mailing list documents

William StanisLaus wrote:

> Hi Fairhurst,
>      Thanks for the drafts.. I am a new bee.. and have a basic question, Does
> these Encapsulations is to replace DSM-CC... in MPE ??.

Yes - for those networks that are able to change. There is a large
deployed
base of MPE in broadcast TV service networks - it is unlikely these
deployed
networks will move away from MPE for the foreseeable future. So co-existance
of the two schemes is important to me. New networks may choose.

There are also a large number of IP-based networks that could take
advantage of
the new encapsulation by a change of driver software. Existing networks may
upgrdae at some time. Again, new networks will have the chance to choose.

>      How do we do MAC filtering in DVB Receivers,  If MPE doesn't have
> information about Destination MAC address ??

MPE has only a ***destination*** Mac address.

It does not have a source address - which can present issues with LAN bridges,
IPv6 autoconfiguration, and some other scenarios.

It doesn't carry a protocol Type field - which requires use of further headers
to support IPv6 efficiently and other protocols, such as arp.

The requirements draft speaks of such issues - and will be re-issued in
an
updated format within  a week.

More questions, comments welcome !

Gorry