Re: Simultanous PID!?

Ghassane Aniba <Ghassane.Aniba@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

> when we say that the receiver can just deal with 8 simultanous pid

In fact this is just a trade-off between hardware and software, cpu
cycles, memory and bus memory bandwidth.

Depending were the decoding/reassembly is done you may get less or
more PIDs.
Current hardware implementation is betweeen 8 and 32 PIDs
With software (at the driver level) and enough cpu cycles it is easy
to reach a much higher number. We might even think of listening to the
whole 8192 PIDs. The issue will be with memory: in the worst case
assuming that the max len of a MPE is 1500, and that you have 8192 not
yet re-assembled packets, you need 8192*1500 Bytes (~ 12MBytes)

Patrick.
--
UDcast: Full IP over Broadcast Media

Phone:  (+33) (0)4 93 00 16 99