Re: Self routing

Thomas 'Dent' Mirlacher wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Dr G Fairhurst wrote:
>

> > Ghassane Aniba wrote:

> > > Sur. With MPE encapsulation we couldn't doing a filtring depending on
> > > the source adress( for exemple in Multicast SSM). The new encapsulation
> > > has to do it.
> > >

> > hey... you mean IP SOURCE ADDRESS!!!!!
>
> well - if you're transporting IP. - is that a strict requirement?
>
> > That's level 3 information, not level 2. We shouldn't map this into
> > level 2
> > simply to allow level 2 filtering - do the filtering at level 3 (using hardware
> > if you so desitre).  It is a level 3 function.
>
> see above - it's fine if you restrict yourself to IPv[46]
> ... and yes, i don't know if filtering on the SOURCE in layer2 needs
> to be there - in most of the cases (all?) the destination address
> is more useful. (in terms of keeping the load on the receiver low,
> as well as really simply (non-)security mechanism)

If the Muticast case, if we have a terminal wich join Group G but
doesn't want the data from the source S. So, in this case, we don't need
to transmit data in the uplink of the satellite network, and so we
reduce the no need traffic. into doing that, we have to know the source
adress (PIM-SM and the Rendez-vous Point RP).

>         ++Thomas
>
> --
> in some way i do, and in some way i don't.

Ghassane.

--
Ghassane ANIBA
INRIA (Projet PLANETE)             | Email :