Re: Réf. Re: Alcatel Space interest about IP/DVB

From: "Keith Hogie" <Keith.Hogie@gsfc.nasa.gov>
To: <ip-dvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Réf. Re: Alcatel Space interest about IP/DVB

In my opinion the big difference between connectionless = datagram and
connection-oriented on the lower layers is the use of the addresses. In
connectionless systems you use the full address in every packet as
exemplified in Ethernet or Toke ring LANs, whereas in connection-oriented
systems you use thte full address only once for the set-up and then continue
using a "label", VC number etc. With adresses - or device_IDs getting bigger
and bigger (IEEE MAC -64, IPv6 ->128 bits) thjere is increased interest in
using shortel "labels - see the MPLS developments.

All I wanted to point out is the way in which we might treat the addressing
in the encapsulation. In my opinion the PID is just a "virtual broadcast
channel" and NOT a virtual circuit or path. It can be used as a
pont-to-point link but I doubt that this very sensibel; if there is a need
for this type of addressing it should probably be delegated to the
link-level i.e. the encapsulation should include an "address/label" field.

--Horst Clausen ("kearney")