RE : IP over DVB-RCS

Title: Message
Ok, I think it's clear now.

But I believe that in the coding scheme, Reed-Solomon is done first, and then the convolutional instead..

Regarding the IP over DVB requirements draft (by Gorry Fairhurst), MPEG-2 TS layer is, in any case, present. That's why I am surprised..

 Fabrice.
Hi,

The RS and convolutional coding is added to the MPEG TS as part of the modulation process within the DVB-RCS compliant satellite modulator. The additional overhead for convolutional encoding is added, along with the interleaving and additional RS bits. This is separate from the MPEG-TS and is purely done on a byte-by-byte (bit-by-bit?!) basis.

This will be the same with ATM cells - the string of 0's and 1's is encoded with convolutional and then RS coding. At the receiver, the incoming signal is demodulated, the RS is removed and de-interleaved, then the convolutional decoder ideally recovers the same string of bits that went into the modulator.

It does not matter to the satellite modems if the incoming string of bits are part of an MPEG-TS or a series of ATM cells.

The same is true for turbo codes, although the coding is a single step.

Hope this is of some help?

Adrian.

Manager: Satellite System Engineering
BT Ignite, B&SC - Satellite System Development

This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications plc which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the  use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or e-mail (to the number or address above) immediately.