Re: IP -> PES -> MPEG TS?

"Kearney" <clausen@cosy.sbg.ac.at> wrote:

> Yes - it identifies a broadcast channel; if you "tune" your receiver to this
> PID you will receive all TS packets from the incoming TS multiplex of an
> MCPC channel which have exactly this PID value. This corresponds largely to
> a multicast group address on an Ethernet interface.

I do not agree. For me PID stands at the physical layer, and 13 bits
is not enough to map a multicast IP address.
I would prefer the ethernet scheme, mapping the IP V4 (or V6)
multicast address on the IEEE 48 bits MAC address (link layer).

> Finally - satellite networks behave differently from LANs (two-way, very
> short delay, cheap bandwidth) and, hence, transferring solutions from the
> LAN world to MPEG2-S networks is not a reasonable approach.

I do not agree. When you use UDLR (RFC3077) the satellite link behaves
as a broadcast LAN and you can re-use almost everything from the LAN
work.

Patrick.
--
UDcast: Full IP over Broadcast Media