IP-over-DVB/MPEG-2 : Status Update Mar 2002

February was a quite month for this list. There were various
reasons why in these months Andrew and I were not able to play as big a role
as we had hoped.  I was unfortunately committed to other things
because of a temporary local staff shortage (sorry). Andrew has been
subject
to a company reorganisation, and will now be leaving his former
company, and his role of co-ordination with DVB (but will still be on
the list).

Requirements ID
---------------

Some significant things have happened - the first revision
of the first Internet Draft was issued.  The authors have received some
comments - and will start to reply to these - but this is probably
a good time to encourage all on the list to look through the
draft and see what needs to be added, changed, or corrected.
I?d particularly like to see input from the terrestrial TV people,
and those involved in manufacturing receiver cards or
IP gateways....

You can down-load this id from:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-req-00.txt

Internet drafts usually go through a great many revisions before
they reach their final form. Please send your comments to this list!

Efficient Encapsulation
-----------------------
To capture thoughts, several people have been working on a
submission of an ID on this topic. I have lots of text,
and will be putting this into an ID when the Internet
Drafts archive re-opens after this IETF.

Hopefully this subject will also result in one or more drafts
to look at options in this design space.

Signalling / Addressing
-----------------------
This word seems to cover most of the other things which it is
currently proposed to look at.   This is an important area
and one were we have to be careful to get a broad
consensus.  There has been some discussion on the
list, but, there is not yet an Internet Draft.

IETF March 2002
---------------
Due to an unfortunate combination of events (see top), we
were unable to progress to hold a BoF at this coming IETF.

-----

I would like to encourage all to think about what they
would like the group to achieve, and to share their ideas
and capture the good ones into Internet Drafts.  Many
successful IETF working groups start off with a good portfolio
of IDs.  An ID doesn?t need to describe a complete solution,
or a part of a protocol - if you?d like help in submitting
an ID for this group to use for discussion, do contact
one of our  <<chairs>> - I guess for the moment that?s me!

Best wishes,

Gorry

P.S. For those who joined recently, note that this list?s
email archive is at:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/ip-dvb/archive/