Submission from [Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@UDcast.com>]

it deals with IP over DVB issues.

As far as I understand: "the neighbour discovery of IPv6 does not work",
this due to the lack of information in the data link layer framing. The
header does not contain the MAC address of the sender and for that
reason, correct layer 2 filtering cannot be applied.

This is especially true when implementing RFC 3077 (UDLR) over a DVB
link. The MPE link layer format does not carry the source mac address of
the sender. A receiver which sends multicast traffic through the GRE
tunnel is not capable to drop (at layer 2) its own packets coming from
the UDL.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but the IPv6 neighbour discovery
protocol works over a UDL if the datalink format contained a source mac
address (similarly to Ethernet frame format).

More generally, to obtain full bidirectional connectivity implementing
RFC 3077 over a unidirectional link, it is necessary that the datalink
header format contains at least the following information:
 - MAC destination address
 - MAC source address
 - Ether_type-like field which specifies the content of the frame (e.g:
ARP, pppoe, IPv4, IPv6, etc.).

Emmanuel
--
Hidetaka IZUMIYAMA wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm Izu of JSAT.

Emmanuel,

I have forwarded this to the list as below:

G. Fairhurst
(list admin for ip-dvb list)

------

it deals with IP over DVB issues.

As far as I understand: "the neighbour discovery of IPv6 does not work",
this due to the lack of information in the data link layer framing. The
header does not contain the MAC address of the sender and for that
reason, correct layer 2 filtering cannot be applied.

This is especially true when implementing RFC 3077 (UDLR) over a DVB
link. The MPE link layer format does not carry the source mac address of
the sender. A receiver which sends multicast traffic through the GRE
tunnel is not capable to drop (at layer 2) its own packets coming from
the UDL.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but the IPv6 neighbor discovery