Re: IP MPE payload

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> you decode layer 3 information in layer 3; because you know it's an IP
> packet directly encapsulated, you pass it straight up the stack to the
> layer-3 handling code. Many implementations work that way.

Unfortunately this is not the case in the implementations I am using.
Have a look a net/if_ethersubr.c in FreeBSD, and net/ipv[46}/ip_input.c
in Linux.

> In your previous mail, you were suggesting redefining the bit from
> indicating
> (LLC_SNAP encap)/(raw IP datagram) to indicating
> (raw IPv4 datagram)/(raw IPv6 datagram).

By no way I want to redefine any bit. I just want to use it the
way the standard is designed.

LLC_SNAP_flag == 0 means payload raw IPv4
LLC_SNAP_flag == 1 means whatever is in the AAL5 (see  RFC1483)
                   if AAL5 Ethertype == 0x86DD then IPv6

Patrick.
--
UDcast: Full IP over Broadcast Media